Monday, September 10, 2012

School

I LOVE the preschool that the girls are going to.  It is like a dream.  The only drawback so far has been the bus.  They get out of school a little after 3 and don't get home until 4:15.  Ridiculous, right?  But I have told the girls that I will come and pick them up if they want, but once we change to the car we are not going back to the bus.  So far they have said that they will stay with the bus but if it gets longer they want me to pick them up.  I am not sure that they really understand how much earlier they would get home.  Time is still so vague to them now.  But on Tuesdays and Wednesdays it would be especially nice as we are hustling out of the house super fast to get to dance and church.  And the church situation should be a whole other post as it has been a real eye opener to teach 16 very active, mainly boys 4 year olds.  As I told D, I leave there and feel like I need a margarita every week.

I LOVE both of the girls' teachers.  They are awesome.  Totally together but totally loving too.  And they still seem like a great match for each of them. 

I LOVE getting a calendar that shows me what they are planning to cover each day.  So nice to know a) that there is a plan and b) what I should ask them about each day.  And even better - they are doing the same curriculum in each class.  So the exact execution may be different between the classes but overall it is super similar. 

I LOVE the uniforms.  I think that I may make my kids wear uniforms throughout their schooling - regardless of what their school is doing.  The only downside to the uniforms is that I did not realize when purchasing them that Brooke would EXCLUSIVELY be wearing a jumper and Audrey would EXCLUSIVELY be wearing a skirt.  I would have definitely bought a different supply with that knowledge. 

I LOVE that they send home a behavior chart that we are expected to initial every day.  Though the girls have been informed that they are expected to stay at the top of the star the whole year.  We shall see.

I LOVE that they are totally emphasizing graphing - I am truly a math nerd at heart!  They did Venn diagrams about school rules vs home rules.  D and I did get nervous when Audrey said that she volunteered a home rule to put on the graph as some rules sound very odd without context (eg: you must at least wear panties when eating at the table).  But she fortunately said that it was a rule that you don't splash water out of the bathtub.  And that firmly fell just in the home rules section. And they have graphed almost everything that they have done: how you get to school, what color eyes you have, how many people are in your family, what type of dwelling you live in....this last one totally cracked me up as the choices here in LA are clearly different than if we were still outside of DC : home, apartment, or mobile home (or as Audrey says "you know those little homes that can move")

And I LOVE that Brooke was chosen to be star student for her class for the first month.  I went to eat lunch with her to see her get her little crown, medal, cookie, and certificate.  She was so proud of herself...and I was probably twice that proud.  Now I just hope that Audrey will be a star student one of these next 8 months (fingers crossed as I basically already told her that she would be it a different month)

3 comments:

Hazel said...

I can verify all the compliments on the school. They did a great job with Grandparents' Day, and I came away with laminated paper for each containing handprints, poem, and the girls' answers to questions like "What do you like to do with your Gramma?". No wonder Zachary schools hold the top ratings in the state.

KD said...

I might be picking Madison up some when she starts school there, however, I could get used to having the bus drop her off. :) We could carpool some if you want!

KD said...

So, I just looked up the schools and they won't attend the same school. We can see about next year then. :)