Friday, December 17, 2010

So Far Behind

As the title suggests, I am so far behind on my blogging. And really I don't have much of an excuse...other than I think it is harder to find things to blog about now as they really don't have many "firsts." That and I have been distracted with shopping, reading a book, and playing with my new phone during their preschool hours!
Brooke and Darren cheering on Auburn (all of D's side of the family are Auburn die hards)

So here is a totally random summary of some things that are going on here:

  • As of the Monday after Thanksgiving, we are a pacifier free house. We had been telling the girls that when they turned 3 they would not want to sleep with their pacifiers anymore. They would be big girls and would not have them any more. Well their birthday came and it just seemed so sad to take them away on such a fun day, and then they were spending the night at a friends so we could go to the FSU game and that seemed like a mean thing to do do a good friend, and then there was the drive to Atlanta and the sleeping in the same room for Thanksgiving. So we finally settled on the day we got back. It was HEARTBREAKING to hear them plead and cry for their pacifiers. They really loved them. And it was clearly a lie that big girls would not want it anymore. But after 3 days of sadness, they seemed to have adjusted rather well.
  • Interestingly enough, our whole discussion about being Big Girls must have sunk in because they now talk about being big girls. As in, they have now decided that they are big girls and don't need their booster seats at the table. And they are now big girls and don't need NAPS. Oh dear. These were unintended and unforeseen consequences of playing up the big girl card. We now get about 3 naps per week.
  • You hear a lot about the terrible twos, but I think that two is getting a bad rap. The girls were more terrific than terrible during their twos. Three on the other hand seems to be filled with much more whining and unreasonable fits of tears over the most bizarre and totally insignificant things. I realize that there is a whole spectrum of behavior and over all the girls are still in the nice and easy section, but this whining is going to be the death of me. I hate it.
  • On a more positive note, the girls say the funniest things. Unfortunately I never seem to be able to remember most of them, but here are a couple. The girls love to announce: "Ladies and Gentlemen. Today we are ..." and then fill in (like going to Target). I think that this comes from one of the lines from The Letter Factory.
  • Frequently I will ask them a question and one will give a pretty detailed answer about what they want. Then I will ask the other and they respond with "what ___ said."
  • Here is a summary of a typical exchange in our house. We were at dinner the other day and Brooke had finished all of her cheese quesadillas. She requested more. Since we did not have any more, I suggested that she ask Audrey if she could have some of hers. So she asked Audrey. Audrey replied with "Hmmm. Let me think Brooke" and then proceeds to tap her lip with her finger. While she is thinking, Brooke gets all excited and yells "I think Audrey is going to say yes!" Fortunately Audrey then says "Yes. You may have one." (This doesn't actually read as funny as it was in person)

We had some snow here this week and the girls were SO EXCITED to play in it. One of their very favorite activities was to eat the snow.
  • They really enjoy playing with each other and frequently will tell me to leave so that they can play without me. Recently they have been very much into playing with their dolls and their animals. Almost every lunch we have two items in the baby doll high chairs at the table with us. Which is great until they decide that the baby needs more food, more drink, or to have a diaper change. But they assure me that they will be quick and that this is their one more time to get down.
  • Preschool is a big mystery. They just don't talk about what they do or any of the kids very much. The one part that they are pretty consistent about that they do talk about is their Creative Movement class that they do each Tuesday. They love to show me and talk about what they do there. Recently they have been showing me how to make shapes with their body that are Christmas related: a star, candle, candy cane, and an ornament. And then my favorite part was that every time they would then lay down and put their legs up into the air and announce that they did not remember what that one was...fortunately it was finally revealed to be a stocking.

From their preschool Christmas sing-along...though I am not convinced that the girls really sang much at all.

3 comments:

The Bowman Bunch said...

Amen to the threes being harder than the the twos. And the story about the quesadilla did translate well, it made me giggle, because I can hear Amelia saying something like that too.

Khrushing said...

We took Corban's paci away after Thanksgiving too. We made his list for Santa and told him he had to send Santa his pacis if he wanted 'bog boy' toys. He asked for it at night a couple of times but that was it. Sad day for me but easier than I'd thought.

MomMom said...

Too cute! And yes, tyrant threes is coming after the terrific-not-terrible twos. I loved 2 year old Keira. Three year old Keira definitely has moments in which I want to stuff a sock in her mouth so I don't have to hear it whine...