Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Volcano Day

I totally stole this idea from my friend Samantha, so I will preface the post with that lest any of you think that I am actually creative. I decided to have a themed day of volcanoes since we had no plans for the day. We started off by looking at some pictures of erupting volcanoes on the internet and then some you tube videos. Then we decided to create our own volcano in our kitchen. We practiced a few times and then built our dirt volcano. The girls really enjoyed adding the dirt into the bucket. After each eruption, they added more to cover up the lava and then we did it again. Then we moved to our arts and crafts project of making a volcano - an activity that Audrey quickly tired of. Her volcano had 3 pieces of lava total. They are so funny and so different. Later in the day, I tried to have them water color paint a volcano. But that quickly turned into them just painting. Though my water color volcano turned out quite nicely!

Building the dirt volcano - not as messy as you would think.

The after picture of the eruption


Gluing on the volcano for our art project

Brooke working on adding the lava to her picture.


This is a video of the first eruption test. My favorite part is listening to how they say erupt. It is so adorable!!

1 comment:

Hazel said...

Pretty cute and clever! What a way to prevent boredom! And preschool's coming soon.