Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Running Running

The title of this post suggests that it will be all about Darren, but I am tricky!  This is primarily about me and the girls.  On October 8, the girls and I had our "big race."  Which for me was my second ever 5k and for the girls it was called a "pumpkin dash."  I had been training basically since the last one back in April (or maybe it was May) but my training - which really only consisted of me running twice a week - was frequently interrupted by vacations or heat and humidity.  I have determined that I really need the temps to be between 50 and 70 for my optimal running.  Not a huge window.  Which is one of the reasons that I have joined a gym. again.  I have been once so far.

Back to my story.  I am super slow but am very proud of myself with my new time.  I ran it in 34 minutes - over 3 minutes faster than last time!  (which D did the math and that averages out to a 10:59 pace - at least it starts with a 10!) 

The pumpkin dash was basically a disaster - poorly organized and very very very short.  too short.  We clearly had built it up WAY too much for the girls.  They had even practiced by going to the track with D and running around it once. So they were up for at least a quarter mile.  It was so much shorter than that.  However, they did have fun wearing their bibs. And I did take a ton of pictures!

And since no running post would be complete without at least a shout out to the real runner in our family - D ran another half marathon a couple of weeks ago.  And he set ANOTHER pr.  He is so fast!  He ran this one in 1 hour 23 minutes which averages out to a 6:21 pace.  His marathon is coming up in less than two weeks on October 30. And of course he is planning to set another PR.  Here's hoping that all our colds go away and the weather stays nice so that can happen!

Giving the girls a high five as I am approaching the finish line.  Thanks to Gramma Hazel for taking the pics and watching the girls while I ran


Pre-race with their friends Kiera in the top picture and Kasey in the bottom picture



No comments: