Thursday, August 14, 2008

SICK!!!

The pictures are totally unrelated to the post, but it seemed a shame to have all these words and no pictures.

Well the girls have officially gotten sick for the first time. I know that if you are a frequent reader of the blog you may be thinking to yourself 'there was already a post about getting sick.' Well as it turns out, those were not really sick just little sniffles and ah-choos.

Starting last Friday night, Audrey got sick. She was up almost every hour crying during the night. We thought that she must be getting a tooth. But the next morning, it was clear that she was actually getting sick. Her little nose was runny, her eyes were watery, she was coughing, she had a fever, and her little voice was hoarse (the saddest little noise I have ever heard!) Overall she was just a pathetic little sight. For the first time ever - in a non-hotel room setting - Audrey slept in our room for several nights, alternating between the pack-n-play and our bed. Shocking, I know.

I took her to the doctor on Monday and they said that she had some bronchial thing (though they actually knew the name.) They had me give her a breathing treatment there using the nebulizer. This would have gone smoothly as Audrey had pretty much used up all her energy crying during the exam - made longer by the ear wax extraction (how embarrassing!) and after just a few minutes of the breathing she was basically asleep. However, I was not totally prepared for all of this and made the rookie mistake of putting Brooke down on blankets to play (very proud of myself for having that so organized!) on the opposite side of the room behind the stroller. As Audrey was calming down, Brooke realized that she could not see us and therefore became hysterical. All in all, the visit was successful and Audrey seems to have rallied. Which of course means that it is time for Brooke to start to get sick. So hopefully in a few days we will all be healthy again...feeding two coughing, sneezing babies is not a fun - or neat - task!

As an aside, Brooke has been having these night terrors (my term) which may or may not be related to her being sick. It is totally bizarre. She just starts screaming which her little eyes all squinched shut. And you can't get her to open her eyes at all. Then finally all of a sudden she will just wake up. She looks at us and smiles. And must be thinking, why did my mommy come and pick me up and take me to another room...and now why is she putting me back to bed?? Hopefully this is just related to being sick or is just a phase...a really short phase.

3 comments:

Amber said...

No worries about the ear wax thing; they always have to dig in my kids' ears. It's either that or I have to put drops in their ears (that don't work that well!) every night while they scream. I figure the doctors need to earn their paychecks.

Norma said...

Aidan went though a short night terror phase (that is the term that I also use). It is terrifying. Luckily it was a short phase! I hope everyone is feeling well soon!

Mark and Kimberly Davis said...

Hope the sweet girls are feeling better!

I'm still hoping to make the trip with Mark to Virginia within the next couple of months. I'll let you know if Madi and I do.