Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor Day Part 1 aka The Amish Experience


For Labor Day this year we decided to head up to Lancaster PA to visit the Amish country...and go to a kiddie amusement park (there will be a separate post for that as I took a bajillion pictures).

On Sunday (in retrospect, not the day to do authentic Amish stuff) we went to this attraction called the Amish Farm and House. It was built back in the early 1800's. We took a guided tour of the house - very informative as all of my Amish knowledge was based on the movie Witness - and a self-guided tour of the grounds. The girls really liked the goats and the corn.


Audrey feeding the goats

Children of the corn

All I can say is that I am so glad that D approved this beforehand or I would never live it down - it turns out that all of the land around the Amish farm and house has been bought and turned very commercial. We were literally in the parking lot of Target and across from Outlet Malls.

After our tour we decided to drive out a bit and see "real" Amish life. And we got so excited each time we saw a little buggy coming toward us.

And because I am secretly a 13 year old boy, we just had to stop and take a picture of me with this sign!

4 comments:

jnhc99 said...

bawhahahaha...I would have stood next to you for the picture if I had been there too. That is just funny.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your former students would be so proud that you went to Intercourse! Ahahahahaha!

Ellie and Charlie Durham said...

hahaha! leslie went on a tour of the Intercourse Canning Factory when we were there. I think I went to that Amish house when I was a kid. There wasn't a target then though ;)