Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Potty Boot Camp: Day 1

Today is the first day of our Potty Boot Camp. As previously posted, during our snow storms of Feb. the girls started to use the potty. I thought 'well this is gonna be a snap.' Fastforward a month and the girls pretty much refused to sit on the potty (though D can convince them some of the time.) So I got a few books, read a variety of ideas, and declared this to be Potty Boot Camp.

I borrowed some of the ideas from a book about training in less than a day (cause seriously who wouldn't want to do it in less than a day) where they wear nothing but panties and you basically quit doing anything other than focusing on the potty and talking about the potty and rewarding them with snacks and lots to drink. And lots of practice if they don't make it to the potty.

Well, I may have overdone the drinks. A tally of our day as of naptime (a total of about 5 hours of training):
Brooke:
tinkled in her panties 2 times
tinkled in the potty 5 times - of which 2 sprayed onto the floor (seriously, can't I catch a break?)
pooped in the potty 1 time

Audrey:
tinkled in her panties 4 times
tinkled in the potty 4 times
pooped in the potty 1 time

I am going on record now as saying that this is certainly one thing that is harder with two.
They are waking from their naps now (we put on diapers for that!) and it is time to go back to training!

6 comments:

Hazel said...

Oh my goodness - Gramma is getting there just in time for boot camp? Sounds like a pretty good first day to me. Maybe peer pressure will kick in.

Norma said...

Aidan was probably 2 and a half when I trained him. Dave was a training for a week and I decided to use the same method as you. I set the timer to go off every 20 to 30 minutes. I put him on the potty and he would go-even if just a little bit. He was pretty well trained in two days. He only wet the bed at night once or twice. We were very lucky. We really waited until he was willing and wanting to do it. We had his potties around for at least 4 months before so he could see them. It will work--keep with it. :)

Anonymous said...

I always dedicated about 3 to 4 days of being home and kept them in big girl/boy underwear (or naked:) and put them on the potty every hour - potty training has never been that hard - but realizing later how filthy public restrooms are as your kids are climbing up on the potty - sometimes I wish they were still in diapers (especially on long road trips;)

Ellie and Charlie Durham said...

Good luck!!!

jnhc99 said...

don't ask me for any tips. It has taken me forever to train Saige and she has been in panties during the day for over a year now, but she kept regressing after she'd get it down for a couple of weeks. The dr said it was a control issue for her. That so much is controlled by me that she was kind of rebelling b/c only she can control when and where she goes potty. Hm....totally sounds right to me. Anyway, guess she has finally come around b/c she hasn't tt'd in her panties all week. WAHOO!

jnhc99 said...

Oh, and I keep a potty in the car. We use it before and after we come out of stores so she doesn't have to use the potty in stores very often at all. Also, go buy a piddle pad at walmart for each carseat so if they have an accident it doesn't get their seat wet.